Relieving Wrist Pain, Carpal Tunnel and Nausea

in Acupressure Points,Nausea & Upset Stomach

Acupressure Point P 6 "Inner Gate"

Acupressure Point P 6 "Inner Gate"

Firm pressure on the Acupressure points known as the Inner and Outer Gates can alleviate Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms and relieve wrist pain. Simply hold the points with firm compression for at least two minutes at a time, 3 to 5 times daily.

These points are also known as P 6 and TW 5, and mirror each other on either side of the wrist. They are both 3 fingers widths from the wrist crease, in between the two bones on one side and the tendons on the opposite side. P 6, the “Inner Gate” is on the inside of the forearm; TW 5, the “Outer Gate” is in the same location but on the outside of the forearm. Press them together, using your fingers on one side and your thumb on the other side.

I have seen excellent results on numerous clients and students who had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms. It takes a good deal of determination, perseverance, and concentrated effort to eventually gain long lasting relief. However, once you get relief, the wrist aches and pains often return. In order to maintain long lasting results most people need to retrain the musculature by applying firm, deep pressure for at least two minutes per session on these Acupressure points several times a day, possibly for months.

Prevention and maintenance is necessary or the wrist pain is likely to come back. Once you get relief, you’ll need to continue to apply pressure to these same Acupressure points whenever you get a chance. It sure beats surgery for maintaining the health of your wrist!

If you have pain or weakness in your hand, place a golf ball or avocado pit in the palm of your opposite hand to press these points, one at a time. After a month or two of working on these Acupressure points you may find great pain relief and improvement in your hand’s grasping strength.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome occurs when the median nerve, between the forearm and the hand, becomes pressed or pinched at the wrist. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway of ligament and bones at the base of the hand. Irritated tendons and swelling narrows the tunnel, compressing the median nerve. This can cause weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, and can radiate up into the arm.

Wrist Pain Relief Acupressure Points:

Inner Gate (P 6)
Location: In the middle of the inner side of the forearm, two and one-half finger widths below the wrist crease.
Benefits: Relieves nausea, anxiety, and wrist pain.

Outer Gate (TW 5)
Location: On the outside of the forearm, midway between the two bones (radius and ulna), two and one-half finger widths below the wrist crease.
Benefits: Relieves rheumatism, tendonitis, and wrist pain; increases resistance to colds.

Julie December 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm

This is a wonderful new blog! I especially like the bite-size segments featuring
a few points and a particular ailment. I completed my 150hr cert 2 years ago and
this is a great way to keep in touch and feature select points.

Namaste,
Julie

michael December 7, 2010 at 11:34 am

I am excited to reach people around the world to promote acupressure and self-healing. The more I share this healing information, the more people want to learn and value these ancient teachings of Traditional Chinese Medicine, applied hands-on.

sheryl smith December 8, 2010 at 3:06 am

As a knitter trying to finish several Christmas presents,, I found this technique instant relief. I think I can finish the gifts. Thank for the gift!

michael December 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm

How rewarding. I am thrilled. What a blessing; happy holidays. (Ho, Ho, Ho!)

Chris Clark December 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Hi, Michael,
Love being able to interact like this.
I’m confused about how to find the 2 points for carpal tunnel relief. One place sites both @ 3 fingerwidths from the wrist crease & another place lists different distances for both points. Please clarify.
Thanks.

michael December 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm

To clarify, both points are 3 fingers widths (about 2 inches, relative to the size of the person) from the wrist crease; P 6 is on the inside of the forearm, TW 5 is on the outside of the forearm, between the two bones. If you stuck a needle straight into one of these points, and reached the other side, it would connect with the other point. Instead of the needle, use your thumb on one side and fingers on the other to squeeze firmly inward between the tendons and bones. I hope this clarifies the location of these points for wrist pain and for relieving nausea and an unset stomach; it works.

Kathleen Lewis January 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Well what a way to start off the New Year!!!! What an incredible site……fantastic information for the points, etc. I can’t thank you enough. I teach Yoga and incorporate all of your information in my classes. I am certified through the Acupressure Institute and use this information all of the time. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Many blessings to you Michael and your staff.

michael January 7, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I hope others reading that you use the acupressure points and actually help people all the time, will be inspired to get acupressure study materials as a first step, and become interested in studying at the Acupressure Insitute. I am grateful every time I use acupressure to help my wife, friends, family, clients, and people I bump into everywhere. Being able to heal myself and others is such a good feeling.

LINDA ALLEN August 18, 2011 at 12:18 am

LOVE THIS SITE-SO INFORMATIVE.THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ACUPRESSURE POINTS .I HAVE RLS AND I AM REALLY HAVING PROBLEMS.TAKING MIRAPEX DAY AND NIGHT.COULD YOU PLEASE HELP FOR THIS AND IT MAKES ME SO DROWSEY.LINDA

michael August 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

For Restless Legs Syndrome: Acupressure and stretching can be very effective if you do it several times daily and keep it up for months – it takes daily practice. I highly recommend you try these stretching exercises and acupressure points in this blog article video clip.

Here are other non-drug treatments recommended for RLS:
- A healthy and balanced diet, with less salt and sugar, and more fresh greens, both steamed and raw.
- Eliminate your alcohol intake.
- Walking, stretching, taking a hot or cold bath, massaging, acupressure, or relaxation techniques may help you personally deal with RLS.
- Eliminate caffeine.

Talk to your doctor about the drowsiness, to adjust your medications.

Arjan August 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm

you are great

John Wilkinson July 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi Michael, I’ve been using your book for many years – thank you! and thank you for the clarification on the finger widths from the crease. One further query on wrist creases though: I may be being silly here but I have one crease immediately below my palm then one about a centimetre below that and actually on the wrist. So do you mean the area between these – or the upper of lower of the two?

I have been using the insomnia pressure points and the quality of my sleep has changed markedly after only a couple of weeks – thank you als0 for this.

Kind wishes, John

michael July 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Wrist Creases: Thanks for your question and feedback. There are at least two wrist creases, so I am sure others will be happy you asked the question. The correct wrist crease is the one that is formed by the bend of the wrist joint. On my wrist, it’s the upper crease. Line your the side of your ring finger level with that upper crease to measure 3 finger widths. OK? The acupressure point is in the middle between the two bones and tendons.

Sleep Better: I am happy to hear that the Acupressure points for insomnia have remarkably improved your ability to get quality sleep. Since so many people have sleep disorders and insomnia, please tell others about my self-healing program called Sleep Better - which you now can download my voice into your computer, for guiding you to the right points and doing the proper breathing exercises for improving the quality of your sleep.

Susan September 2, 2012 at 2:44 am

Thank you so much for this Michael. I knew there would be an acupressure solution for this rather than surgery. You have brought me relief.

muk November 26, 2012 at 3:58 am

a few points and a particular ailment, and
this is a great way to keep in touch and feature select points
present day doctors are greedy and theaten patients if not followed thier treatment,so due to fear we do it borrowing money and and hardships to clear it
they are making patient mentally phisically economically weak .this type should go. cheap and best methods will be encouraged .i hope this system ocuperrsure should get in to our way of life.god bless this web site

michael November 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

I hear your frustrations and rage about western medicine. When you brake a bone, have an infection, or a life threatening condition, western medicine is knowledgable and the way to go. I hope that more holistic approaches and methods will become an integral part of western medicine in the near future.

armando meza January 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm

hello is pain in the shoulder and arm lift is a pinchaso around the arm and hand has come I apply pressure on the shoulder and down a little pain

michael January 17, 2013 at 7:47 am

I think that pressing acupressure points SI 9 and SI 10 could help you. If you do not know these, get an acupressure chart and go to an acupressure or acupuncture practitioner in your area.

Gerardo H January 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I have a really bad pain in my right wrist,did x-rays and nothing broken,I do a lot of offroad motorcyle racing,bicycle,and raquet that all of these requier the use of my right wrist,,,i experience a lot of “arm pump “and experience a lot of neck and back stress-pain also, I am in pretty good shape,i feel i shouldnt be experiencing this my age is 36…will any of this accupressure help on my situation..?

michael January 17, 2013 at 7:53 am

Yes, but because you are young and strong, you will need a lot more pressure on these wrist points. Use your knuckles on the TW 5 points. I also encourage you to go to an acupressure, Shiatsu, or acupuncture practitioner, especially a man who can apply deep pressure, and show you how to also do acupressure to yourself. Deep acupressure – applied several times daily for a month, could really help you.

David O Russell February 27, 2013 at 7:47 am

It is great to know that some of these painful problems can be helped by therapy.

sunil vasudev March 24, 2013 at 4:30 am

i am suffering from carpel tunnel syndrome since last two yrs, i have gone through the surgery also but that coud’nt helped me , since last 6 months i am suffering from same kind of pain, numbness and weakness in my hand, kindly help me what should i do, as above mentioned exercises i ma getting only temporary relief, so kindly help me………….

michael March 25, 2013 at 3:39 am

Here is a link to an article I wrote to help you to relieve your wrist pain:

annette June 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm

thanks so much for the guide to cts relief…just one question about the technique: when holding the two acupressure points, is the hand supposed to remain open with fingers extended out flat or is it ok to let the fingers curl down as mine want to do? there is more resistance with the hand open while it seems easier to get deeper with the fingers/hand softly curled so wondering which is more effective? thank you!!

michael July 2, 2013 at 7:31 am

Yes let your fingers curve, using the pads of your fingertips to apply firm pressure -just enough pressure to feel as if the depth of the pressure is connecting with the Carpal Tunnel wrist pain. Hold for 2 to 3 minutes if you can and repeat this 3 to 5 time daily, whenever you think of it; do it!

BeyonceJustice December 4, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thanks for sharing the wonderful review on hand rehabilitation.