Stress Relief Acupressure Points for Shoulder & Neck Tension

in Acupressure Points,Pain Relief,Self-Care Techniques,Stress Management

Acupressure to relieve shoulder tension

I have used acupressure for over 40 years and helped thousands relieve muscular tension and stress related disorders. Acupressure points are especially effective for managing stress and dealing with common health problems that get worse under stress.

In this article, you’ll learn three potent acupressure points used in the Stress Relief self-care program for releasing shoulder tension and neck pain – now available in a downloadable version – to counteract your stress wherever you live. It’s my voice guiding you how to relieve stress using acupressure, stretching, and breathing. Here’s more info with illustrations of these three stress relief points.

Acupressure Points for shoulder and neck problems

Chronic Shoulder & Neck Tensions from common stress conditions cause circulation and neuro-muscular problems. I’ve found the following acupressure points extremely effective for relieving stress and urge you to use Stress Relief, which guides in detail to release these three points:

GB 21 is on the top of the shoulders, two finger widths out from the outside base of your neck. This stress relief acupressure point is where you have the most tension in your trapezius muscles. I find it easiest to use my opposite hand to press this point. First feel for the tension on the top of your shoulders by firmly rubbing to feel for the tightest spot. Then curve your fingers to hook the weight of your arm into this stress relief point.

Special Neck Pain Points: B 10, Gv 16, GB 20

B 10 is on the back of your neck, just one thumb width down from you skull, and one thumb width out from the center of your spine on your upper neck. This acupressure point is good for hormonal balance, since it benefits the thyroid gland. Use firm, prolonged pressure on B 10. Stress Relief provides step-by-step guidance.

GB 20 is located in the hollows underneath the base of your skull, about 3 to 4 inches apart, depending on the size of your body. This great acupressure point further releases shoulder pain, neck stiffness, and tension headaches.

These acupressure points should be held for 2 to 3 minutes with firm finger pressure several times throughout the day and night. This can release your chronic and acute tensions in the shoulder and neck region of your body.

Stress Management Program

Talk Radio Show: Mark this on your calendar for July 30 at 12 noon PST (3pm EST) to listen to me and call in and ask questions about acupressure and stress related problems. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/zen-mommies/2012/07/30/acupressure-stress-relief

Going Further: If you learn better from a visually oriented demonstration, I recommend getting my Acupressure Stress Relief and Less Stress DVDs to be able to counteract your stress and live a better life – there’s nothing more important.

anindita July 25, 2012 at 2:10 am

Hi Michael, Are there any good acupressure points to relieve sporadic dry cough due to hyper acidity or something else maybe? Thanks.

michael July 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I would first gradually apply pressure to Lung 1 and then K 27 for the dry cough. Also B 10 is vital for bring healing energy through your throat.

Deepak August 12, 2012 at 12:43 am

Background info: I’m 23 years old female. I inuerjd my back about 7 or 8 years ago, I got whiplash from a bucking horse. They think I tore muscles and ligaments in my lower back, nothing was broken for the X-rays. I did physical therapy (PT) for it for about 6 months. About 3 weeks ago I found out that my left leg is about 3 cm longer than my right and could be causing some of my back pain. Oh and I have consent lower back pain. About 1 year ago in March I was diagnosed with lateral tracking of the patella on my right knee. I did 6 months of PT for it and I’m back in PT for it and have been doing it for a month and half. I got an MRI and it was clean, nothing torn or broken. The surgeon says I definitely have knee pain but the cause of it is unknown and surgery right now is not a option. I can’t run, go up or down stairs with out pain, sitting or standing for a long time hurts, driving hurts sometimes, I cant put all or some of my weight on it. I get a burning pain in the inside of knee, it makes a popping feeling, and on the top outer ledge of it. I’m going to go see an orthopedic spine surgeon this week, but this would be doctor number 4 that I have seen for my knee. I really just want to run again and have someone tell me that they know why I’m in so much pain. I can deal with the back pain b/c that never stopped me from running, riding, or got in the way of my life but my knee has. So if anyone can give me clues or help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone knows of a Dr. House for knees please let me know!

michael August 13, 2012 at 7:49 am

Acupressure and acupuncture can help you, but you’ll have to totally give it a rest – stay off of it. In addition, try this, if it feels right:

FCWheatley July 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Looks like good info,I seem to have a problem touching the rite spot? But I keep trying,

michael July 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

As you keep trying, pay attention to the angles in which you are applying the pressure. These acupressure points are located internally. Apply the pressure gradually into the center of area you are working on. Let me know if you have any questions.

barbara herzberg July 26, 2012 at 5:09 am

Thanking you from a grateful heart. You are wonderful to share this effective technique with us. Barb

Kevin January 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thank you so much for posting these. I had shoulder surgery about a month ago and found out that opiates have little to no effect on me. I was taking ibuprofen 800 mg, but it was bad on me digestive tract. So, I’ve been just dealing with the pain. That also makes it hard to sleep.
I used to dabble in acupressure and massage many years ago. So, I looked it up on the internet.
I can’t wait to get a good nights sleep tonight.
Thank you again.

michael January 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm

To relieve some of your pain, I think practicing these DVDs may help you:

To sleep better, follow along with this SLEEP BETTER program, especially the last 3 tracks: