I wrote this article and attached video to show you how to use Sp 4, one of the great healing foot acupressure points for increasing circulation and balancing your digestive system.  These foot acupressure points, on both sides of the arch, calms restlessness, balances food cravings, worry, overwhelm, and relieves anxiety, appetite imbalances, abdominal problems, indigestion, bloating, edema, varicosity, PMS, menstrual cramps, foot cramps, and cold feet. Use Sp 4 if you have one or more of these complaints.

Click on the image above or on the next link to learn how to find and use these acupressure points.

Sp 4, known as the “Grandparent – Grandchild” point, is good for balancing hypoglycemia, inhibits the herpes virus, and energetically harmonizes the stomach, spleen and pancreas. Sp 4 transforms dampness (for counteracting edema), and invigorates digestion. This is also an excellent point for curtailing food cravings.

Location: Sp 4 is in the upper arch of the foot, one thumb-width from the ball of the foot.

How to Press: I usually use my thumb to press this acupressure point. Or you can tape an almond, kidney or lima bean on your Sp 4 acupressure points, on both sides. Then cover it with a sock when wearing shoes.

Instruction Details: Slowly build up the time you wear the beans on both sides within your shoes. (Just don’t let them tell you – you’re full of beans!) You might wear the taped bean or almond on the point for an hour or so to start. After a week, you can wear it for two hours. After another week, build up to about three hours and so on – gradually increasing the amount of time you stimulate these acupressure points.

Use this point for prevention as well as for relief of the array of symptoms above. That is what’s so exciting about using acupressure points; they are safe, prevent thousands of health disorders without side effects, and are so accessible.

Acupressure Point Formulas: I want you to also realize — when you learn how to combine this point with other acupressure points, the results are even more powerful.  You’ll get point recipes and formulas based on the meridians and five elements in my acupressure booklets, which are part of the Home Study Pack.  If the pack is too much for you, I suggest just getting the Basic Booklet and the Intermediate & Advanced Booklets, which are both available to download directly into your computer, and not pay any shipping or handling fees.

Why Sp 4 Works: These acupressure points (Sp 4, on both sides) balance the earth element – so you can feel grounded and be more present on earth.  Sp 4 also harmonizes the Stomach and Spleen meridians, which govern digestion and your body’s ability to function in harmony and be well.

shahla May 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hi Mickeal

thank you very much for all your emails and videos sending me . those are great gifts for me and
I really appreciate that.
Also I have a question ,why it’s named grandfathers and grandchild’s ?

Thanks
shahla

michael May 16, 2012 at 8:52 am

In TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) relationships between internal organ functions have been mapped out through the Laws of the Five Elements. Some organs nurture or feed other organs – thus they are considered the mother feeding the child. This lo and master point known as the Grandparent-Grandchild point Sp 4, connects two generations of digestive organs. The name is a metaphor for how this acupressure point Sp 4 functions to promote digestion.

Tony Lee May 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thank you very much for posting this information on Acupressure on Digestion, Foot Cramps and Cold Feet using SP4. This knowledge will improve such problems if suffered by me or my friends. God bless.

shirley wolf May 15, 2012 at 8:52 pm

This is awesome thank you.

John Andrews May 16, 2012 at 2:55 am

Thanks a lot for spleen 4 acupoint. By applying pressure daily most people can keep the doctor and medicine away, save the money in the purse. There should be no budget for the
doctors and medicine in our life is the goal of Alternate medicine.

michael May 16, 2012 at 3:04 am

Acupressure Therapy can prevent hundreds of common complaints, get a handle on your health, and save a tremendous amount of money and suffering. Still, there is an important role for western medicine – for infections and severe injuries for instance. I think we should be open to what’s available and appropriate. Keep exercising, eating healthy, and pressing those points!

Taeko June 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

With the bases loaded you stcruk us out with that answer!

Miriam May 16, 2012 at 3:24 am

I have the Home Study Pack here:

You will hear from me soon with the request to order the books and study materials.
Thank you once again in advance for sharing your acupressure knowledge.

Mirima

mahboubeh valiani May 16, 2012 at 5:04 am

thank you so much for your emails. those are great gifts for me and
I really appreciate that. Please let me know about pain relief in labor and delivery points.
Best Wishes

michael May 16, 2012 at 8:36 am

I will put labor and delivery acupressure points on my long list for the future. If you want to have illustrations and directions now to refer to – along with 40 other common complaints – order my book, Acupresssure’s Potent Points here:

Ashok Khaladkar May 16, 2012 at 5:07 am

Thanks a lot for posting .This is really a very wonderful technique.I will surely practice it.Thanks once again.

michael May 16, 2012 at 8:23 am

I am thrilled to hear you’ll actually practice the acupressure techniques that I am writing about – that’s the way to discover its benefits. It’s not like taking a pill – you actually have to do it.

Ashraful Alam May 16, 2012 at 5:59 am

i am kidney patient.I’ve to need 8 hours dialysis in a week. if u have any better suggestion for me pl send that.

michael May 16, 2012 at 8:41 am

Acupressure Therapy may be very helpful for you for relieving many of your discomforts, aches and pains – but its not a substitution for dialysis or medical attention. I encourage you to check-out this book to discover the benefits of using self-acupressure:

Ricardo May 16, 2012 at 10:03 am

SP4 é “Maravilhoso” Michael!.
HUG!.

Ricardo.

bian May 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm

hi Michael
thank you for the e- mail.I believe it will be fantastic.i will practice sp4 and will tell my mother. i am sure it will work for her.thanks again. you are doing wonderful work.keep it up.i am already practicing four or five acupoints.and the result is great.

michael May 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

I am thrilled to hear that you’re using the acupressure points and getting results. Blessings to your mother!

Alex May 18, 2012 at 2:09 am

Your advice to find SP4 in terms of 1 thumbwidth below the ball of the feet is most helpful.
I know about this point but was unsure where is it exactly. Some said it is 4 fingers width from base of big toe ?. Thanks for your most helpful guidance.

michael May 18, 2012 at 9:41 am

You are correct – there are so many ways to approach the location of these acupressure points. My greatest intention in teaching acupressure for 40 years, is to make it clear, accessible, and easy.

vinod sharma May 19, 2012 at 3:14 am

hi my dear ownself in the form of michael you bare doing a great job for the humanity. i want to join you in the face book as my friend.thanks

michael May 21, 2012 at 3:37 am

Ok, very good. Send me an invitation on Facebook.

fc periwal May 20, 2012 at 9:20 am

Thank you very much for yor advise. I am practicing – on many points regularly. Let us hope for the best results.

i would like to know acupressure points for Vertigo problems.
Thanks – with best regards.

michael May 22, 2012 at 5:53 am
Khush Dubash May 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

To do away with a calcified stone in the right kidney, causing a lot of pain and lack of movement, can you suggest a pressure point to melt the stone please?

Thanks much – Khush

michael May 21, 2012 at 3:30 am

Acupressure points in your lower back (B 23 and B 47) can help relieve some of your pain and discomfort. It’s unfair for me to suggest that acupressure can produce a miracle of melting a kidney stone – but is doesn’t hurt to try.

ASH May 22, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thank you very much for e-mails.
I like the way you teach and it’s ver easy to follow your instructions. i have cold feet whole my life, hope this point will work.

michael May 23, 2012 at 5:27 am

For Cold Feet: I hope you find this Sp 4 acupressure point works for your cold feet. If it doesn’t, there are other acupressure points to use which deal with other causes of having cold feet. There are also important dietary considerations which can be vital for counteracting cold feet. I would like to write a more focused blog article on Relieving Cold Feet that includes all of this – so stay tuned.

Joe Palinkas May 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank you for tips on Sp 4; I will try them. I have the bookets you mention. I go way back on your instruction and teaching books, bookets, charts, tapes, cd, and dvd. I started with the SOUNDS TRUE Acu-Yoga tapes. I am retired now and I worked 37 years of rotating shifts. I realize when I started working shifts, that the better shape I was in the easier working would be. I’ve done alot of yoga in 37 years and it helped me make it to retirement. The last 15 years not as much after becoming chief operator. After my operation I am back in full force.

I am a big fan of magnets. Would it make a difference if I used magnets on the Sp 4 point?

michael May 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I salute your 37 years of practicing yoga. People like you have been an inspiration to me.

Magnets are interesting. I do not have much experience using them, but I’d encourage you to experiment and explore using them, and write back to us on this website, so the whole Acupressure community, which has grown to over 10 thousand folks, benefits.

ASH May 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thanks a lot!

Harro June 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hello Michael,
I have been a subscriber for a while now and greatly appreciate your work/methods
because they DO work very well.
Today I am asking for further help from you regarding an achilles tendon injury that
has been with me now for 5 weeks and barely is getting better. Yes, I have been following
my doctor’s orders [ibuprofen and ice] but it has not done much good and I want to stop
taking all this ibuprofen and get better.
Please, tell me what acupressure points I might use.
Thank you very much.

aloha,
Harro

michael June 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Please tell me where the pain originates and where it extends or radiates. If you had a good acupressure chart, you could better find the points yourself – where the pain is centered.

reenu jain February 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm

thanks a lot for this point. can u pls tell me that can we do accupressure just after meals or no.
if no then this point for digestion also can do or not.
thanks

REPLY FROM MICHAEL:

You can use this Sp 4 point after meals and the point St 36 would also be good after meals. However, if you eat a large amount of food, doing acupressure more than a few minutes is not recommended. This Sp 4 can be used any time and it does promote and benefit your digestion. For this reason alone, I think acupressure is great!

Rosemarie February 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I tried an almond on each foot at sp4. I noticed a tingling on the right but much less on the left. I removed the right almond after about an hour leaving the left on for more stimulation. I’m quite sure I had it in the correct place. I am experiencing GI tract problems more colon, dx 2 yrs prior with diverticulitus, compounded with sciatica which I suspect is related and the doctors all deny. To get to the point my question is: DID I EXPERIENCE LESS STIMULATION/EFFECT ON THE LEFT FOOT AS RELATED TO GREATER PROBLEMS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY BODY?
and SHOULD I USE THE ALMOND MORE ON THE LEFT?

michael February 27, 2013 at 3:34 am

Since you have greater problems on the left side of your body, the left Sp 4 is more blocked. I prefer to work bilaterally, on both sides. You may find that using almonds or beans on both Sp 4 is more effective. If the right point gets sensitive, then remove it for several hours and reapply for a shorter amount of time.

By the way, the sciatica you have is certainly related to your GI tract problems. Use B 25, GB 48, and GB 40 for both.

Vijay November 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

HelloMichael ,
I trying some some of your point. ..it is really working. I am wondering about this. You are doing great service. Near upper and back side of My right side ear I feel tingling nerve. It disturbing my concentration. Please help me …..

michael November 30, 2013 at 8:14 am

Go to a shiatsu practitioner and also see a doctor. Acupressure techniques can be helpful – check out Acupressure’s Potent Points.

Chuck November 26, 2013 at 4:41 pm

This is great and effective, ei.. it is ok to put almond to Sp 4 everyday? Cause i dont have time to remove it, is that ok? from 8am to 8pm? 24/7?

michael November 30, 2013 at 7:46 am

Try taping the almond on the arch of your foot for a few hours first, before you do it for 24 hours at a time. Increasing the time gradually is the best way to process.

Tammy December 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm

What about cold hands? I noticed recently that my right hand is cold..every time I am at work or when a little cold air hits it..Can you help with any tips pointers?

michael December 19, 2013 at 6:29 am

There’s a number of points for cold hands, depending upon where the energy is blocked. Try TW 5 with P 6 and SI 11.