Ankle Sprain Acupressure Points for Healing Ankle Pain, Ankle Stiffness, Sciatica, Top of Foot Pain, and Swollen Ankles*

in Acupressure Points,Ankle Pain & Sprains,Sciatica,Self-Care Techniques,Uncategorized

I have successfully used Acupressure Points (GB 40) on my own body and many others for relieving ankle pain, stiffness, ankle sprains, and swelling. These acupressure points, on both ankles, work like a charm.

I’m confident I can describe how you can get relief. If you read further and watch my YouTube clip on relieving an ankle sprain. I’ll give you the details necessary for getting good results.

GB 40: Good for relieving ankle sprains, sciatica, irritability, stiffness, swollen ankles, and pain on the top of the foot.

I’ve gotten great results from using GB 40 on the same side that‘s injured, hurts, or is weak. If you damaged or broke your ankle, or your ankle is weak, painful or extremely fragile – then only use light touch on this Acupressure point. If the light touch is too painful, due to the trauma or injury, press into GB 40 on the opposite side – until your body can handle light pressure on the side of your ankle that hurts.

Acupressure Points GB 40 are located in the large hollow directly in front of the outer anklebone.  This point relieves ankle problems, sprains, swelling, sciatic pain, and improves the health of your ankle joint. These acupressure points are also good for relieving sciatica, irritability, frustration, and difficulty in making good, wise decisions.

How to Apply Pressure: Hold GB 40 for five to ten minutes, alternating every sixty seconds or so between light and firm pressure gradually. At the end of holding the point, use light touch, without pressure for at least a minute, as you breathe deeply.

Acupressure Directions & Indications: To maximize the healing benefits in the ankle, hold GB 40 until you feel an even pulse at the point.  After using this point for a few days, if you find you’re getting a clearer or well defined pulsation at the point sooner, be encouraged to continue; you’re getting the healing energy to flow through the ankle joint.

_____________________________________________________________

* Ankle pain, ankle stiffness, ankle sprains, and swollen ankles are common complaints among people with previous injuries, overweight conditions, and athletes.

harish srivastava February 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Very interesting and useful article…Thanx.

Lori (Vancouver/Richmond BC Martial Arts/Self-Defense Instructor) February 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I’ve been dealing with a weak/sore ankle for quite some time and want to give this a shot so I can get back to normal martial arts training. Can you just use a finger or is it better to use some kind of tool? What are you using in the video?

michael February 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I am using my own finger in the video demonstration. The human hand is the most natural, has the ability to feel for the indentation, and can channel healing energy. However, there is nothing wrong with using a tool to obtain pressure on Acupressure points, if you have difficulty using your fingers to apply pressure. This spring, I plan to present some great acupressure tools to enable you to get good pressure to activate the acupressure points and healing energy within your body without straining. I value good tools in all aspects of life. So you do not have to spend money to stimulate the acupressure points to heal yourself, try using an avocado pit, a golf ball in the palm of your hand, or the end of a pencil eraser. Be sure to apply the pressure gradually, hold in as you take deep breaths, and focus on releasing the pressure gradually too – for best results.

This GB 40 acupressure point is great for strengthening a weak/sore ankle and increases healing in the area. Please continue using this point and let me know your results.

Rev John February 29, 2012 at 2:52 am

Thanks for reminding me of the GB 40 acupressure point.

michael February 29, 2012 at 6:31 am

GB 40 balances the energy in the Gall Bladder meridian. That’s why these acupressure points, on both sides, are used to relieve general stiffness, judgmental attitudes, irritability, frustration, side aches, gas pains, feeling stuck or depressed, mental distress, indecision, overwhelm, repressed anger, and headaches. This also is a good acupressure point to use on people who eat too much junk food, especially chips that are fried, butter, and other rich foods in addition to relieving ankle problems.

wan baker February 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hai Michael,
I have a 12 yrs old autism son and quite hyper and i have send him to a special school for the last 7 yrs but the result is not encouraging . Could you advise me whether the treatment with certain acupressure points that can stimulate his speech (especially) and fingers (problem with writing). Appreciate your advise.tq

michael March 1, 2012 at 6:11 am

I appreciate the care you have given and want to give your son. To be effective, I believe that many aspects need to happen; acupressure and bodywork is just one of them. Your son needs mentors that he likes, and trusts who take him to new, exciting places – sometimes physically, sometimes mentally or intellectually, and certainly emotionally. The scope must include his life style and what he eats. Every autistic child responds differently. Use whole foods and strictly limit foods that contain sugar and salt. Try homeopathic medicine as well as Applied Educational Kinesiology like the Brain Gym. Acupressure points GB 20, GV 16 under the base of the skull and St 36 will certainly be helpful and part of the whole treatment.

Rajkumari February 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hi using GB 40 is really educative and interesting

michael March 1, 2012 at 5:55 am

Excellent. Isn’t Acupressure a wonderful healing art!

R Sampath Kumar February 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Pranams. In one of your articles you have mentioned about application of GB 34 and St 36 regularly for toning up muscles. Can these points be useful for my inguinal hernia ? If there are other related points, pl. suggest me.

michael March 1, 2012 at 5:53 am

For an Inguinal Hernia: The primary acupressure points for your inguinal hernia is Sp 12 and Sp 13. This is not an instant fix; it takes months to heal and these points will make the healing occur faster and better.

sangeeta melag March 1, 2012 at 3:52 am

thanx for giving ankle pain point i will try

michael March 1, 2012 at 5:41 am

Please let me know how it works and if you have any questions. I know it works, because it has healed my own ankle so many times.

ATUL.MEHTA. March 1, 2012 at 8:07 am

My wife has bronchial asthma I am giving her all the points which are standard acupressure points which are there. Can you recommend line of treatment to follow and any other tips to be followed.
Thanks in advance,

Atul Mehta.

michael March 3, 2012 at 5:46 pm

There are a number of blog articles that would help your wife, which I’ll list below. However, to really get a powerful yet simple to do routine, I suggest getting my best selling book called Acupressure’s Potent Points.

For Asthma, here are several acupressure points that will help: B13, B 14, Lu 1 and go to:

Bhuvana March 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks a lot for introducing Point GB 40. I have a fractured plate implanted ankle. i am also fat and weigh 96kgs. It really pains me now. However, i applied acupressure by following your directions, and really i am having relief. Also my gastric trouble is releasing!

Can u suggest some points for reducing fat, and stress?

michael March 3, 2012 at 7:41 am

I am thrilled to hear your results – using the acupressure points.
For Weight Loss - I have written a routine that uses acupressure with self-massage, gentle stretching, which deep breathing is available as an E-Audio Weight Loss Program.

For Acupressure Stress Relief DVD I present gentle self-acupressure deep breathing exercises to relieve tension.

For Less Stress, I suggest you use this DVD - a great set of easy breathing exercises. You’ll be amazed how well these exercises work for getting closer to your well-being – but you have to actually to the exercises – twice a day is best.

Ms. Khush F Dubash March 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

Hi Michael, I get a lot of pins and needles in my legs riding up & down, could you please guide me with pressure points to release this problem? It is extremely uncomfortable.

Thanks much – Ms. Khush

michael March 3, 2012 at 7:22 am

This point GB 40 presented here can be helpful, but also try these points for your legs:

Ien van Houten March 5, 2012 at 1:19 am

Dear Michael, thanks so much for sharing your wisdom here. I have turned a lot of people on to your wonderful book! This point, worked during a reflexology session, worked so well for one of my clients. I held it while cupping the heel and rotated the foot with the other hand.

michael March 5, 2012 at 1:48 am

Thank you so much for referring some many people to my acupressure point books. I think your reflexology application of using this point is excellent.

reenu March 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

thnks for ankle healing pressure point…i m going to do it to heal my sprain of 5 mths. can u tell me something for fibroids also…thnks in advance.

michael March 28, 2012 at 3:45 am

Acupressure points in the area of the fibroids may relieve some of the discomfort, but let me be clear that this is not a cure for them. If the fibroids grew to a size that causes more discomfort or any disfunction, I suggest you get medical attention and care. Even in traditional Chinese medicine, surgery is used as a valid last resort.

Ryan April 16, 2012 at 7:35 am

Hi there I have pain that is right where the GB40 spot is, I thought it could be my AFTL. I can walk with no pain, but it also hurts on my shin muscle below the knee and my hip/lower back. Can this method help, is it a sciatica problem? Please help thank you!

michael April 18, 2012 at 7:21 am

For Pain below the Knee (near the shin): I want to give you a couple other acupressure points to practice in addition to GB 40, which I hope you’ll continue using. Here are the acupressure points for relieving muscular pain in the knees, shins, and lower back: http://www.acupressure.com/blog/?p=1034

For Lower Back Pain: Try using ice before you go to bed, for at least 30 days and hold the lower back acupressure points as illustrated here: http://www.acupressure.com/blog/?p=1248

Ryan April 16, 2012 at 7:37 am

It mostly hurts at night laying in bed…

michael April 18, 2012 at 6:58 am

If your ankle pain is on the top of your foot or goes into the outer side of your ankle, the directions in this blog and video clip are excellent – hold these acupressure points (GB 40 on both sides) for a few minutes, several times a day. Experiment with more pressure, less pressure, with more time and repetitions, with ice on the points, with ice on the painful area, etc. I encourage you to keep up, practicing acupressure especially when you find its hurting while laying in bed.

Mayank May 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hello Sir, I am suffering from ankle ligament tear of right foot-right ankle from last 10 months. As per MRI, it shows partial ligament tear. I have consulted many doctors in India, but I have not got relief from my pain. Whenever i walk for more than 5 minutes, my whole foot starts paining and i started limping while walking. I have flat foot also. i have done 20 sittings of physiotherapy which includes ultrasonic waves, Interferential therapy but all in vain. Kindly suggest me wthere i get any help from accupressure/accupuncture therapy?? And if yes then why an orthopaedic doctor suggest about accupressure/accupuncture??

Waiting for your reply
Mayank

michael May 27, 2012 at 6:49 am

If I could see where your pain originates and where it goes, I could at least suggest some acupressure points. See if you can get a referral in your area for acupuncture or acupressure. If your pain goes through the top of your foot, this acupressure point, GB 40 will be helpful.

Nina Chowdhury June 9, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Hello. I have been suffering from an ongoing ankle pain, inner left ankle, and I kindly want specific advice. I have been told its a blood clot and will be released with hot water massages. I didn’t see a result. What do you suggest?

michael June 11, 2012 at 8:46 am

I suggest that you go to a doctor to have this examined – if there’s a chance this is a blood clot. The acupressure points on the inside of your ankle, which will probably be quite tender can be helpful, once you see a medical doctor who rules out the blood clot and OKs using gentle finger pressure on the healing points on this acupressure points chart and reflexology charts.

Kathy Lorenz August 6, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hi Michael – I have a client who is recovering from an injury to the navicular tendon – just on the superior arch of the right foot, proximal to the head of the first metatarsal. She has worn a boot and then a cast for about 6 weeks to allow it to heal, but it is still painful. I have told her about holding the paired master points GB 41/Sp 4 and K 6/Bl 62, for various benefits, including bringing balanced energy into her right foot for healing. Is there anything more about these points or others specifically that you can suggest for self-treatment to speed her healing?
Thanks so much for your help!
Kathy

michael August 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

Show her how to find and hold Sp 3 as well as Sp 4 and K 2 using her thumbs, while her fingers get GB 41. Teach her how to go into the points gradually and how to attract a pulse to get the energy flowing, which will decrease her recovery time. I also find applying Zheng Gu Shui, which is an external Chinese analgesic, found in large health food stores and Chines stores with patient medicines, is very helpful for healing injuries. Be careful to not get this in your eyes, arm pits, or private parts.

Radhey Shyam Sawhney August 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

Sir,

Thank you for your continue mailing your valuable articles. At present I and my Mrs. are suffering from pain in heel and arms. Should we try this GB40 for below foot pain in heel.

michael August 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

For your heel pain, also use the ankle points K 4, K 5, and especially K 6 with B 62, You will find illustrations of these points in my Home Study Pack. To relieve your arm pain, I’d need to see a picture of where the point runs in your arm. Usually Si 10 with LI 11, LI 10, TW 5 and P 6 work well.

ford March 22, 2013 at 12:59 am

mr. Gach i have seen that GB 40 POINT when perssure is gently applied to it instantly reduce a sprained and grossly swollen ankle it would have been nice to see somthing like that again it was truely amazing Thanks very much sharing this it brought back some memmories.