Tinnitus: Ringing Ear Acupressure Points for the Kidneys & Lower Back

in Acupressure Points,Back Pain & Sciatica,Ears,Exercise & Lifestyle,Stress Management

DECLAN MCCULLAGH PHOTOGRAPHY

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, ringing in the ears and Tinnitus is an alarm that the energy in your kidney meridian is low or deficient. Most Tinnitus and ear ringing conditions, unless caused by injury, are related to excessive stress or trauma, which depletes the energy flow to your kidneys. Besides points on the kidney meridian and around the ears themselves, the most potent points for boosting the health of the kidneys are located in your lower back.

In this acupressure article, I’ll describe a few simple ways to use acupressure points and acupressure massage to relieve ringing in your ears over time, and give you a few essential tips that are necessary to do to benefit your kidneys, and hence subside the ringing in your ears.  In a nutshell, using acupressure points to relieve ringing in the ears is not a quick or easy fix.  However, if you have the will to help yourself, here’s a simple step by step routine of what to do.

Sitting Comfortably:

1. Acupressure Massage around your ears. Place your fingertips of both hands about 1/8th an inch from your ears. Close your eyes to feel for hallow spots, and fit your fingertips into each of these indentations. Take slow deep breaths as you briskly massage this area, by slowly turning your hand, gliding over the bumps on your skull for two minutes.

GB 20 Balances the Brain & Senses

2. Acupressure on the Base of your Skull (GB 20) and the acupressure points near and around the top of your head.  Press these points about five times each, alternating your position between firm pressure on GB 20, underneath the base of your skull, and pressure into the sore spots on the back of the top of your head. Explore all the points that are covered by wearing a Jewish cap, known as a Yamulka or Kippah. These tender points are both sacred and spiritual acupressure points.

On your Back:

3. Bring your knees to your chest slowly five times. This flattens the curve in the lower back, which can relieve lower backaches and is good for the kidneys.

CV 6 "Sea of Healing Energy"

4. Hold CV 6, located between your belly button and public bone, taking slow deep breaths, into you go into a deep state of relaxation for 5 to 10 minutes.

5. Repeat the steps above, lying on your back.

Lifestyle Tips:

•    Practice Qi Gong Breathing Exercises twice daily, using the Less Stress DVD. Deep breathing exercises combined with acupressure is the formula for counteracting ringing in the ears. Deep breathing benefits your metal and water elements. If the ringing in your ears sounds like its coming from metal, you’ll need to practice these exercises for six months, to discover the benefits. This practice will improve the condition of your kidneys and you’ll feel better.

•    Avoid eating: sweets and salted, fried foods.

•    Explore your past traumatic experiences and past fears. Get help to be at peace with childhood fears or traumas. For more guidance, see Acupressure for Emotional Healing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

* For more Acupressure Back Care Points check-out the Bum Back E-Book.

mravichandran October 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm

excellent article. thank you so much.

sreeram October 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm

i am receiving your e mail letter for tinnitus
i am suffering from ENT – tonsillitis – foot burning, my age 48 years
please send ENT & tonsillitis and foot(bottom) burning tips
once again thank you

michael October 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Please see a medical doctor for the tonsillitis; acupressure points can only help to some degree; you need medical attention. For your foot burning, there are several points that can give you some good relief. I suggest that you start by getting a good acupressure chart - so you can find the acupressure points close to your burning pain. Feel for the hollow spots and slowly press into them – holding for about 2 to 3 minutes – several times daily.

sreeram November 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm

i am doing acupressure points suggested for ENT – tonsillitis – foot burning.
i got some relief and satisfied, so i want to do it regularly and follow your advise and experiance.
thank you so much.

michael November 16, 2011 at 12:10 am

i am happy to hear that using the Acupressure points has been helpful for you. Keep up! Improvement can be slow; it takes time and daily practice.

Chandresh October 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

For Tonsillitis I have try following which has given excellent results.

Before Going to bad put Banana Skin (Inside part), around your neck & tie it with string, so it remain on the place, & remove it in moring. Try this for 3 to 4 days & i m sure that you will get best results.

michael October 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

If this natural application works, great. Just do not tied the string too tight – around your neck. Be kind to yourself.

sreeram November 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm

sreeram October 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Marcia October 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’m so glad that I found your page. I got a copy of ACU-YOGA when it was first published, and have given it many times to friends. I’m especially grateful for this article, since I’ve had ringing for quite awhile. When I mention it to MD’s, they start talking about hearing tests and antihistimines, which make me so dopey that I can’t function. I’m so glad to find something to try that is noninvasive.

michael October 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm

For the Ringing: I am excited, that you’re excited to try acupressure. To increase the effectiveness, I suggest you get the Qi Gong Breathing Exercises Program called Less Stress. These exercises are very easily to do and will make you feel better – overall. You will feel clearer mentally and more positive emotionally. If you ever feel sluggish or tired, doing the Less Stress DVD will make you feel 20 to 30 years younger. The combination of the acupressure and doing these easy ancient breathing exercises twice a day, heighten your ability to heal yourself in many ways – beyond what words can say. I hope you will make a commitment to doing this regularly and work at it, to discover the benefits. After a month or two of doing both the acupressure and breathing exercises – will you let us (our acupressure community of 7,000) know your results and questions from doing these natural healing practices?

P.S. You have had my Acu-Yoga book (which is now a classic) for 30 years! What a blessing.

cecilia October 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm

You are truly helping me to grow in nature’s healing

Bob Hughes October 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Michael.
I enjoy and benefit from all your articles.

That photo of someone’s ear is gnarly. Patches of dry skin. Some inflammation.
Psoriasis.

I bet your regimen for tinnitus might relieve some of these symptoms, too.

Bob

michael October 25, 2011 at 8:06 am

In addition to the acupressure in this blog article, use LI 4, between the thumb and index finger. Avoid eating all shell fish – so your skin doesn’t look inflamed and dry and sometimes itchy. Keep pressing these points and breath a lot deeper.

I have a series of healing breathing exercises that I have found work wonders – especially if your health problems get worse when you are under stress. If you want to help yourself, practice the Less Stress wonderful breathing exercises twice daily – the results can be remarkable!

Mashallah Ali-Ahyaie October 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm

All the best for you and yours,

Mashallah

Jess October 22, 2011 at 1:05 am

I have a problem with my thyroid – could you guide me on which points to press. Looking forward to your response.

Yours truly,
Jess

michael October 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thyroid Gland Imbalances: There are several acupressure points that can help balance the thyroid gland. Using acupressure techniques that press these points in the neck and chest area is just part of a holistic treatment.

Emotional Healing is often a big part of working with the root cause. Here is an article that I wrote to give you more info called “Thyroid Acupressure Points for Self-Healing”.

Bob Hughes October 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm

2d comment on this thread.

First, I’m glad you took my tongue-in-cheek comment about that picture of someone’s ear seriously.
It reminds me of my dental hygienist telling me that my ear’s skin looked abnormal–sure enough, when I went to my dermatologist she cut off some basal cell cancer.
Good practitioners seem to spot problems outside their specialty.

Second, I use acupressure while teaching taiji.
One of my students has been diagnosed with having Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
I notice swelling and abnormal growth along her Stomach meridian at ST-10 and ST-11.
On my own body with self-acupressure I’ve been successful in reducing a benign subcutaneous lipoma (fatty lump) on my forearm on the Large Intestine meridian between LI-6 & 7 and have almost completely dissolved one near HT-2 on the Heart meridian (I use a special massage technique.)
But I don’t want to foist my personal anecdotal finding on to another person.
I can only reinforce what you say about the “Emotional Healing” aspect of holistic therapy.
I observe that even a harmless lipoma as well the more serious thyroiditis have underlying emotional roots.

Gee, I’d love to attend your December classes.

Thanks again.

Now I’d better read your info on Thyroid Acupressure points.

pooja October 22, 2011 at 3:02 am

thanku for your guidance.
can u help me in my knee problem.
i find difficulty in walking down stairs while climbing up the stairs is no problem.

michael October 24, 2011 at 11:12 am

Try using the acupressure points illustrated in the video clip there: http://www.acupressure.com/blog/?p=1034 for your knee problem. From more points and techniques, see my chapter on Knee Pain in my Acupressure’s Potent Points.

Glenn October 22, 2011 at 8:41 am

Thanks great article. I have had ringing in the ears for about the last three years. It all began when I started my healing journey and its all tied into deep childhood fears. This confirmed some thoughts and information I had been putting together as it was starting to bug me :-) Very helpful and gives to confidence to push into this area further till it subsides…Appreciate all your pointers Michael, thanks again

michael October 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I appreciate that you are in touch with the emotional causes of the ringing in your ears. If you want to explore this further, I encourage you to use my book called Acupressure for Emotional Healing, which will enable you to gain even deeper emotional connections and provide acupressure point routines for working on yourself. I would love to hear back from you as you explore this.

Kirti Patel October 22, 2011 at 11:11 am

sir, How are you. I suffering form diabetics i control my food habit with this i want to know acupressure point it helps me to control. Kirti

michael October 24, 2011 at 10:49 am

For control, try GV 26, in the center of the upper gum. In additional, be sure to also get medical care.

Dalsukh October 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I have excessive urinary frequency at night. please suggest accupressure points to strengthen prostate and bladder. I do kegel exercises and Deer exercise for man. I will add any technique your recommend. I am also having insomnia. I take zolpidine 5 mg. an 1.00 mg. ofAlprazolam. I also circulate energy around microcosmic orbit. I had picked up some acupressure technique from a book entitled Acupuncture without needle written by a doctor.I have also tried to circulate chi around 12 meridians suggested by a very old book named as Chinese meditation. In 6 breaths 12 meridians of hands,legs, torso, crown of the head etc. I have forgotten the name of the book and its author. However I recalled the loops of meridian and try to circulate breathing and mental energy around these meridians.the book had suggested sexual energy to be circulated. As I am 81 and have no libido, I circulate, breathing and mental energy. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

michael October 25, 2011 at 7:47 am

You’re doing many excellent healing exercise techniques. I suggest gently rocking on your back on a carpet. If you can do this – it stimulates a series of acupressure points on the Bladder meridian. Relax deeply immediately after rocking for a minute or two, taking slow deep breaths, letting your energy circulate and balance.

For your Insomnia condition, I highly suggest you hold GB 20, under the base of the skull. Hold with firm pressure as you take slow deep breaths. If you need more guidance on this valuable point for your condition, go to: http://www.acupressure.com/blog/?p=820

michael October 25, 2011 at 7:56 am

You’re practicing many excellent healing techniques, which I encourage you to continue. They will make the acupressure points work even more effectively. I have two suggestions. If you can rock on your back over a carpet, it will stimulate a series of acupressure points on the Bladder meridian. Rock and roll for a minute or two. Then immediately, deeply relax on your back – using your deep breathing and visualization techniques.

For your Insomnia: I hight suggest using the acupressure points GB 20, under the base of your skull, about 3 inches apart. Press firmly, up underneath the skull bone, and hold for about two minutes while in a chair or while laying on your back, with your head tilted back to gradually increase the pressure, using the weight of your head for leverage. To see this point and get more guidance, go to: http://www.acupressure.com/blog/?p=820

LINDA ALLEN October 22, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I need your help with RLS.I would like to get off the medication I am on now. My problem with RLS is bothering me daily.Can you help me?If so,thanks so much Michael.

michael October 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

I know I replied to you about Restless Leg Syndrome. I want to create a blog article to help people with this so stay tuned. In the meantime, try doing some yoga stretching and use the acupressure points St 36. Please apply briskly rubbing with your fists over St 36, and the stretching of the backs of your legs, at least three or four times a day.

Dr.ch.Ravi kiran October 23, 2011 at 1:20 am

Thanks mate for reply.I’m practicing daily two times pressing with help of pencil biant end 3min,pressure points on hand(l&R) 1,3,4,8,12,16,15,25,26,28 on feet working with wooden roller 5 to 10min(local implement made)&pressing points cv6,cv9,16,12,26 3min with pencil blant end.After 2months i get creatine level 9.4 to 6.4,blood urea of 125 to 71%.

michael October 24, 2011 at 10:54 am

Keep on pressing those points. With my healing wishes.

andy donaldson October 23, 2011 at 11:03 am

brilliant, I am so glad I found this site, the advice is priceless,wish I had a credit card to buy the charts… oh well..!

Mashallah Ali-Ahyaie October 26, 2011 at 8:15 am

Many thanks, once more. These types of instructions are beyond your book ones, since they describe how your hands are applying pressure on your patients. By saying “gliding over the bumps on your skull ,” is it meant the bumps adjacent to hallow spots, about 1/8th an inch from ears?
All the best for you and yours,
Mashallah

michael October 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yes, I believe you got it. Keep pressing those points!

Saleem Basha October 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Wonderful article ThanQ

Kathleen Johnson November 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Dear Michael, This web sight is Great! THANKS for doing it. It is such a service. I’ve taken the classes but sometimes forget that I have these tools for my clients. I look forward to each new article.
Best regards
Kathleen

michael November 4, 2011 at 5:56 am

Thank you; I am glad to serve and promote natural healing. I have a huge body of practical information to give to Reiki practitioners, even some Reiki masters. Please let me know if you have any ideas of how I can directly reach and teach Reiki healers. The idea of using Reiki energy techniques on the acupressure points and meridians is very exciting.

AbdullahAhmad November 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You have covered on many health issues and I believe many people all over the world have
immensely benefited from your articles. I hope someday you could teach us how to treat planter fasciitis .
Best regards.
Abdullah Ahmad.

Mashallah Ali-Ahyaie November 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm

All the best for you and yours,
Mashallah

michael November 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

Yes, you got it right.

JOSE M. GONZALEZ P. December 2, 2011 at 3:24 am

I live in Santa Marta, city, Colombia. I have had ringing in the ears for about the last two year. Can you help me? as I can use acupressure? Where I can obtain your book?

michael December 3, 2011 at 6:23 am

My acupressure books can help you use Acupressure points – with 400 illustrations and photos in each of the following books:

* Acupressure’s Potent Points
* Acupressure for Emotional Healing

ravindran January 4, 2012 at 6:11 am

thank you so much.

Sav January 26, 2012 at 3:03 am

I’ve humming sound (Tinnitus) in my right ear since last 4 months. It annoys me alot. My ears get blocked as soon as the surrounding sound increases or if I speak loudly. Is there a way to heal this by acupressure? Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance, Sav

michael January 26, 2012 at 6:37 am

For Tinnitus: Ringing Ear Acupressure Points go to:

michael January 26, 2012 at 7:58 am

For Tinnitus: Ringing Ear Acupressure Points go to:
Sending you healing wishes.

Viv January 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Have spent most of the morning reading through your fascinating website.
I work as a Reflexologist/Reiki Master in the UK and currently have 2 clients who have been suffering from ringing in their ears for a few weeks. When doing the reflexology treatments I am aware that their kidney reflexes feel different to any other and one of them expresses discomfort when this area is treated.
I am currently compiling a handout containing suggestions that they can use between their treatments to encourage these areas to heal and return to a balanced state. With your permission I would like to include details of the acupressure points from your website.
Reiki Blessings,
Viv
Rainbow Healing

michael January 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I am making all the self-healing info in this blog available to you and your clients to promote more healing in the world. I hope you’ll recommend other materials I have written or produced, especially the new e-products that will not cost any shipping for your clients.

Viv February 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Many thanks! :-) I would be happy to recommend other articles that you have written/produced and will be directing all of my clients to your website.
Reiki Blessings,
Viv
Rainbow Healing

michael February 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thank you so much for supporting my blog and this healing work which I believe complements the healing work you do with Reiki energy.

tinnitus association February 28, 2012 at 8:48 am

I am sorry, that I interrupt you, however it is necessary for me small bit much more info.

michael February 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

Thank you for offering more information about tinnitus to the public.

sujeet March 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Hi, I am suffering from hearing loss and anxiety.
1) my question is are they inter-related to each other or not?
2) As per ENT Diagnosis it was found that my ear bones are attached to skin inside ear.
so if any suggestions for this? please tell me.

Sang March 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

i’m always loinvg great stretching advice most of my problems with running have occured in my feet..oddly enough. I’m pretty sure I have an issue with plantar fascitis in my right foot as long as I ice my foot with a frozen water bottle and massage my foot with a golf ball, it helps alot. i’ve never tried foam rolling before, but I really need to start I think injuries are prob what tend to scare runners the most i know thats how I feel anyways I think the best way to avoid it is just train smartly. Overtraining is so easy to do that its crazy I’ve struggled with it myself. Its all a learning experience right?I cant stand GUs, they make me gag. I’ve used the sport jelly belly beans and they are decent but my all time fave is Cliff shot blocks, they work really well for me and settle down nicely in my stomach. plus they are yummy Theresa recently posted..

no no hair removal reviews bikini May 4, 2012 at 8:18 am

Excellent read. I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. He actually bought me lunch since I found it for him! So let me rephrase: Thank you for lunch!

michael May 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

I had no idea there were effective acupressure points for a soup and sandwich.

website maintenance services May 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

Excellent post, you might have mentioned some amazing points, I too think this is a extremely wonderful web site.

michael May 18, 2012 at 9:37 am

I am humbled and grateful to receive such fabulous, positive wonderful feedback; it makes my efforts to produce these posts worthwhile; thanks!

shine June 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Hi,
I would really like to treat my physical symptoms. May I call from the US to discuss/
Number?

michael June 15, 2012 at 4:18 am

I would be glad to answer your questions about acupressure – how to do it and how it works. I purposely do not give out my phone number. There are also practitioners all over the US on this Asian Bodywork Site.

Debbie Jeffrey July 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hi, I have never heard of using acupressure to heal tinnitus yet it is worth a try. I will also direct people here from my own blog as something to consider. I had not thought of tinnitus being related to kidneys but I had a case where a young man went to a loud concert and came back with ringing in his ears. It persisted for a few days and then went. At thet ime I thought it must be to do with standing too close to loudspeakers without earplugs and that might still be the case. However, I wonder if dehydration of the body could be a factor and that is why the kidneys are affected. They drink alcohol at parties. I have heard of drinking more water to relieve tinnitus. Interesting. Thanks.

michael July 25, 2012 at 12:45 am

In the case you are describing, the extremely loud speakers in juried your client’s ear. However, in many cases, there are many causes.

backlinks September 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon! http://fiverr.com/worldofseo

Sangeeta June 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

can meditation be a cause of tinnitus?

michael July 2, 2013 at 7:11 am

I do not think meditation can be the cause of tinnitus.

esther July 25, 2013 at 3:31 am

Hi,
I’m so glad that I found your site.
I was injured in my back & knee from car accidents two years ago, and I’ve been having headache & dizziness & nausea since then. My neurologist told me that my head MRI is clean & I’m just crazy to have these symptoms. I started hearing sound in my ear here and there since accident, but it became more persistence & louder to the point where I can’t do anything when its loudest. I went to ear specialist and after many tests, doc concluded that I have meniere’s disease. I got steroid injection in the ear & oral steroid treatment, but it didn’t do much at all. My BF’s been massaging me according to acupressure points, and it helps to reduce the sound.
Medically, there’s nothing to even ease the pain for meniere’s disease…. I’m very desperate.
Is there anything else (other pressure point) I can do to ease the sound?

michael July 29, 2013 at 7:38 am

I have three suggestions that are on different levels and I hope you explore them all. First, use the “final balancing points” GV 16, GV 20, GV 24.5, and CV 17. If you want my step by step guidance, I encourage you to order and practice this 30 minute Self-Acupressure Healing DVD:

Go to a female acupuncturist who will let you take a short nap on her table. Deeply relax at home for 30 to 60 minutes immediately afterwards as well to get the full healing results. Once you find an acupuncturist you like, commit to at least 5 sessions with this deep relaxation to discover the full benefits.

Find a Jin Shin Do or Jin Shin Jyutsu or Jin Shin Acupressure practitioner and get treatments. Here’s a directory to find someone in your area: http://jinshindo.org/teacherspractitionersworldwide

esther August 16, 2013 at 9:03 am

I found one reputable acupuncturist(Yaoshen cai) and tried one session with him, which was very relaxing, and he also gave me some herbal remedies as well. I’ll be seeing him in regular base, so hope that will help. since I’ve seen him, the intensity of nose has reduced a little which is a huge relief. I’ll try your DVD. Thank you so much for your time & suggestions.

michael August 16, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Your Acupuncture sessions will be more effective and longer lasting, if you go home and take a nap immediately afterwards.

Bec August 14, 2013 at 12:51 am

I have read through your blog and the comments following – I find this very interesting!
i have a problem with fluid in the middle ear causing pain and tinnitus, and some hearing loss and a sore throat most of the time.
Last year I had a tube inserted to allow the eardrum to drain. This worked up until a couple of months ago – where I have the same problem following upper respiratory infection. After trying the nasal sprays and decongestants recommended by GP’s I am now using black sesame oil 2 drops in the nose and in the ear (on cotton wool) as recommended by my naturopath.
It doesnt appear to be improving at all (it has only been 5 days though) and wonder if I should continue or go back to the steroid nasal spray which did provide a little relief but was not fixing the problem. It is worse at night and first thing in the morning and affects my ability to sleep.
What are your suggestions?

michael August 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

First, its best to find the cause and deal with it. Can you find a doctor or your Naturopath – who can help you get to the cause of the problem. Have you returned to your doctor who inserted the tube? These are bottom line questions I can’t answer, and I am not a doctor. However, acupressure points can relieve pressure and fluid in the ear. I find that TW 16 is most helpful. This ear points are illustrated in my Acupressure’s Potent Points

MOHINDER October 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I hurt my head very hard with the metal door at that time i didnt realise it was that bad but noe i have tinnitus i have tried everthing and it is so loud spent so much money its just not helping its my whole head ringing 25/7 please can you help me. thank you

michael November 30, 2013 at 8:25 am

This injury traumatized you. I believe you need help from a skilled acupressure practitioner with experience with emotional healing. Google Jin Shin for Emotinal Healing. Also search for a Reiki for PTSD or Trauma. For self-healing, I suggest Acupressure for Emotional Healing book.